Getting My Layer of Cool On.


Sorry, sorry, sorry about the glare. The paint is still incredibly wet. I warmed things up yesterday, so I cooled things down today. I really want to dig into the whites and yellows. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I wanted to open a tube and squeeze some on my palette. It isn't that I am impatient. It is that I am.. Ok.. I am getting impatient. When it starts to come out of the ugly stage and I can begin to see pretty again, I just want to go full gangbusters.

I am seeing lots of little mistakes in this. It isn't anything that is making me want to take a butcher knife to the canvas and brutally kill it, but little things here and there needs correction. I will do that as I lay on the more opaque layers and hopefully the shadows won't show through.


Not a lot of colors on this, so far. From left to right it is Ivory Black, French Ultramarine, Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Sienna. From that I mixed a warm blue from the Ivory black and Ultramarine. A middle red from the Crimson and Burnt Sienna. A brownish color from the Ultramarine and Burnt Sienna and a purple from the Crimson and Ultramarine. The cup you see is just a container for my linseed oil. Crystal Lite is nasty to drink, but comes in these handy dandy cups, so I make my kids drink it.

I have no idea what I am going to do for the next painting. I want to stay in a classical arena, but want to do something a little more contemporary than this. There are too many subject options to pick from. I love myths and tales as subject matter. I also love themes that represent strength, courage and honesty. That doesn't narrow things down much.

1 Comments

Anonymous said…
I think it is comming along swimmingly. Keep up the great work!