Watching the Radio

Radio
6x6
Oil on Panel

I struggled and struggled and struggled with the face of this radio until I wanted to toss a hammer at it. It is still wrong, but I am going to have to do this again and see if I can't get a better base drawing than what I started with this time. I don't have a clue how much actual time I spent on this. There were lots of interruptions. This painting failed at the drawing stage. I absolutely cannot draw and talk on the phone. Bad Anna!- for even trying!

I have been reading Art and Fear (again). On page 5 it says "Your job is to learn to work on your work." A little farther down, it says "The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction of your artwork that soars." I guess I get to chalk this one up to that effort.

Here is what I have figured out:

When working with a picture, I seem to do just fine. Working from life presents a challenge that I have yet to truly master. Rather than just give up and take a picture and move on, I am going to drill the life studies and improve.

I really like Raw umber. I like the way it mixes with other paints. I really like the difference between the Artists Grade paint vs the Student Grade. The student grade is a lot more stiff. I like the way you can build up darks with it and wipe out lights. I think I want to have a love affair with Raw Umber.

I like the results of a good drawing. I have felt horrible for not being able to whip these things out in an hour and come up with a pleasing result. I have pushed myself to get faster and more painterly. I love painterly. I don't do painterly well and I don't love what I have come up with. I feel so much more accomplished when I do a grisaille and layer paint over it than I do with direct painting. I haven't decided what I am going to do about that. David, from Wetcanvas, posted about Spatial frequency, composition, and likeness and it has my brain whizzing.

I wanted a lot more "pretty" from this painting than I got.

2 Comments

Jo Castillo said…
I really struggle with perspective, too. You seem to be on the right track with practice from life. Nice radio. Your post made me smile .. at my frustration. You're getting there.

Jo
Anna Sellers said…
Thanks Jo

Misery loves company and I appreciate knowing that I am not the only one who stands in front of something wondering why I cant make this (my drawing) look like THAT! (The object)