Finding My Way

Stick Figure

"Ok Anna, Why did you post a stick figure?"  This started off as a joke between my daughter and I because almost every non-artist compliment ends with "I can't draw a stick figure."  I can draw a stick figure.  If the world ends tomorrow I accomplished that!

I have been listening to The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp.   I have always heard this is a good book and so far, I like some of the nuggets of wisdom.  I may or may not give a full review of the book once I finish it.  I think I am going to have to listen to it a second time to truly appreciate all she has to say on the subject of creative work.

I have also been watching a lot of video's by Istebrak on YouTube.  She has tons and tons of video's about how to draw a face and head.  I find a lot of her video's useful for correcting some of my trouble spots.  She does a lot of paint overs and corrects the work of her class.

I am getting back in the groove of things.  I started a project of drawing 100 heads.  I started off just doing real quick and dirty scribbles and it is evolving into a whole bunch of purposeful studies.  My sense of perspective is really bad when it comes to the head and somehow I have no idea how big or small anything is supposed to be on a face.  So to get that problem area fixed, I have committed myself to drawing the head over and over until I can do them in my sleep.  As of this blog post, I am on head #44 and it is still a real struggle.

Every once in a while I will get what I believe to be a good structure down and when I get into rendering it, the whole thing falls apart.  Perhaps I will show these in a future blog post.  I am starting to see my problems a lot sooner than I used to.  I am less in love with my work lately than I used to be and I think it is because my ability to see mistakes is improving.  That is a good thing, but it is easy to get discouraged when you finish a piece and hate it once it gets posted.

I am making a habit of finishing them and posting them regardless of my love for them, because I need to watch the progress.  That is the gold in all of this effort. The ability to see mistakes, correct the thinking that creates the mistakes and move on to make the next mistake.  This has been one of my better ideas.  As my ability to distinguish perspective improves on heads and faces, I am hoping it will translate to the rest of my work.  If not, I know how to tackle problem areas, 100 practice pieces at a time.

This is just a quick update to fix my blog and get some of my social media updated.  When all is said and done, I will eventually want to sell some of these pieces so I can buy more art supplies.

0 Comments