Cyclopedia Anatomicae

The girls and I took a trip to Barnes and Noble.  We shopped for books, bought some coffee and sat at a table in silence.  Toni had to observe a stranger and write a fictional background story based on what she observed for a writing assignment.  Tori purchased a new sketchbook and a set of colored pencils, so she started drawing.  I sketched in public for the first time.  We really enjoyed our day.



Sketching in public is intimidating.  I was worried the whole time that people were aware that I was looking at them.  As I sketched, I hoped that they would not be offended, or come to see what I was doing.  I must admit that the overall experience was not nearly as terrible as I assumed it would be.

Next time I go, I want to take pens or markers or something that will make stronger marks.  My intimidation shows up in my sketches.  Bolder marks, bolder intentions, bolder work!  That is something that will have to come with practice I think.  Getting past the first time was the hardest part.


While I was there, I found a book on the 50% off table called Cyclopedia Anatomicae by Feher/Szunyoghy.  The list price was $14.98.  There are tons of illustrations in this book!  It covers individual bones and bone groups of humans and animals.  It also covers muscle groups and motion.  I have been looking for a book on anatomy for quite a while.  There might be better anatomy books out there, but for the price this book packs a lot of punch.

I am looking forward to doing some anatomy studies and get some composition studies done for my January Painting.  The year seems to be starting out nicely!

Quick Link Review:

0 Comments