Self Portrait


Self Portrait
9x12
Oil on Panel

A late night rendezvous with paint. This is a limited palette painting with Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre, Ivory Black and Titanium White. I felt a need to get back to the essentials. I got some things right and some things wrong, but I do love working with this palette. It is a challenge to get back into the same position when working with a mirror. This looks similar to me, but not quite me. I look a bit older in person than this painting tells. Its not bad for a 3 am finish tho.

Metaphor: Sometimes I let my ego get so carried away that I cannot separate the endless ego chatter from what is actually there. When that happens, it is important to remember the simple facts. I have two eyes, a nose, a mouth, a chin, etc. There is beauty in that simplicity.



Technorati tags:
, , , ,

1 Comments

p said…
i like the palette too
i can't explain why i'm drawn to colours like these, they aren't terribly exciting are they? but they are so earthy and solid. even though i work with a different medium, it all has the same palette and i like it on the wall, it balances and anchors.
good job on the self portrait, it is halting.