Composition - Thinking beyond mechanics

I am building on an idea for a series of still life paintings. I am pretty excited about this project because it is going to push me to go beyond the mechanics of recreating what I see. There are about 1,050,000 results when you do a search on Google for Apple Painting. It is amazing how many ways an apple can be painted. What makes you click one and not the other? It usually has a lot to do with composition.

There are lots of resources on the web for composition.

Wetcanvas has tons of information in their Composition and Design Forum:


There are some very good articles on composition as well.


Some other resources for composition that I found useful are:

Composition is a huge subject. It can be overwhelming. I don't think it is something that can be learned in a few easy steps. I think it is something that you have to jump in and try over and over again.

Technorati Tags:, ,
del.ici.ous Tags:,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

1 Comments

Jo Castillo said…
Anna, Looks like you are studying and sketching. I will follow these links. Thanks, Jo