The Mom Look

The Mom Look
9x12
Graphite and White Pencil on paper

My husband named this. I guess this is what I look like when I am scolding the kids. I am thinking about framing this and sending it to college with my son. Then when he is thinking about doing something I wouldn't like, he can look at this and think twice.

I don't usually do a portrait study with my scar forward (above my eye). I don't try to hide it. It makes my eye shape a bit odd, so I have avoided it. I did this in natural light. I like the lighting. I forgot how much I really do like graphite. Something about the hatching is relaxing and refreshing.

I was going to paint, but my inspiration for the day was a self portrait in the Burnt Sienna, French Ultramarine and Titanium White. I decided I would do a quick pencil study to nail the shapes and such. Then once I got the general sketch in place, I couldn't resist shading it in. Of course, once I had the shadows in, I couldn't resist digging in the girls colored pencil to add highlights. .. and by the time that was all accomplished, it was dinner time. Go figure!

Maybe tomorrow.

1 Comments

Anonymous said…
Great work.