Aachen Study




You can see the original artists painting HERE.

This is quite literally what is on my drawing board. I am doing this as a value study for a future painting. I am debating on if I want to stick true to what I see in the original on ARC or go for the lighter copy. (Or something between the two). I like this painting because there is some insane detail right next to flat areas. There are lots of great brush strokes and places where the paint looks polished in. The rounded faces are a bit sugar coated. I like comparing the old ideas about beauty to todays.

I forgot how slow graphite can be. Layers.. and layers.. and layers. In this case, that is a good thing because its like practicing for the actual painting. Rather than just make a toss away study, I am going to give this a good finish. This gives me time to really plot a course of action for each area.

Of course, the other reason I am doing a Graphite study is because I can do this sitting down. Just when my knee was starting to feel a lot better, I missed a step on our stairs and sprang my ankle. It is this marvelous combination of purple, green, blue and red. It looks like one of those fat little feet on a cherub, only adult sized! I almost assumed that God was giving me a new model to study, but then I thought maybe I better take the message to get off my feet before I need to be told again.

2 Comments

Jo Castillo said…
Oh, Anna, sorry about the knee and ankle. Geez, take care of yourself.

Your drawing is beautiful, not an easy task, but it is coming along just great.

Thanks for the link, I will return it!

Later,
Jo
"JeanneG" said…
What is it with knee problems? Very uncomfortable for walking. Take it easy on yours. Never hurts to sit and paint and you might learn to like it.

Graphite is my medium of passion. Very nice study.