Postcard - Still Life with Egg

Oil on 4x6 Watercolor Postcard

My son got me a watch for Christmas and it came in this amazing box. I will probably do more paintings of this box because I love the shape. I didn't know what to put with the box, so I added an egg. Eggs are always good in a still life.

This is on a Canson Watercolor postcard. I taped all sides to mask it off, then applied 2 coats of gesso. Once that was dry, I applied paint and Ta-Da!! There is no rhyme or reason to my palette selection which is:

  • Titanium White
  • Ivory Black
  • Burnt Umber
  • Alizarin Crimson

I may do this again using a different palette. Larry Seiler has a video on YouTube. I am going to watch this a few more times and see if I can get closer to what I am aiming for. I tend to be such a busy blending body. Getting painterly is a very hard thing for me to do. I ruined this a couple times before I decided to just be happy with it.


Once it dries, this will be my weekly postcard to Dad. He doesn't know it is coming. He will eventually figure out that I have dedicated one day a week to art for his mail box. I used to send him drawings on postcards, so I am sure he will be happy to see I have moved on to paint.

1 Comments

jafabrit said…
OH that is so neat, that your dad will get a postcard each week :)

You are right the box is nice, and I like that you put an egg on it.