Rocky Balboa! - 4 Tissues!

We went to see Rocky Balboa last night. I loved it!

I don't want to ruin some of the happy surprises for anyone that plans to go see it, so I will keep this general. If you have watched Rocky throughout the series, you will discover a lot of full circle style closure in this movie. If you are a Rocky fan, everything you love about Rocky is brought to life in this movie. If you are not such a big fan of Rocky, you might discover a new respect for the old champion. The only prerequisite is that you have seen at least the first movie. Otherwise the full circle effect will not have the impact.

This story line had the potential of getting very unrealistic and cheesy. Rocky is faced with the difficult challenge of preparing for a fight. It is even more challenging, since he has been retired for years. Without spoiling everything, I will tell you that Stalone does not try to pretend that Rocky has not aged or felt the effects of aging. In fact the movie is focused on the effects of age and the challenges you face as you get older. You will see Rocky walking a little slower, thinking a little more and lot more reminiscent of his better days.

Parts of this movie are comfortably predictable. This is Rocky I was watching after all. A couple of times, I thought the story was going to lead into an uncomfortable direction, but Stalone pulled it around to prove that this was the Rocky I loved and adored.

My only nit pick about the movie is that I did not care for the way a couple of the scenes were shot. The fight had some effects that I could have lived without.

If you are looking for an inspirational movie to end the year, this is the one! This movie was inspiring and full of important messages without being over run with mush. Stalone did a wonderful job of writing this. This is the way any Rocky fan wants to see their champion go out. My favorite line in the movie is "You'll get there." I won't tell you why. You will have to go see it for yourself.

This movie gets 4 Tissues from me!

View the trailers
Sylvester Stallone
Metro Mix Interview

0 Comments