Initial Layers

Initial layers of color started here. I like this ugly phase. Its like that awkward preteen phase. You see the beauty, but things are just a little out of place just yet. I used David Rourke's method of couching and I really like the way the paint smears around.

The kids are out of school for the rest of this week so they can have a long holiday weekend. Not sure how much painting I will get done the rest of this week. I will put some paint here and there and let her dry.

I have dug up some ancient sketchbooks and ideas are brewing. It is funny how awful things looked back then and they were major breakthroughs for me. Back then, imagination was king and skill were second. Today, my skill is getting focus and the ideas are just dead. So I was thinking that maybe if I revisit some of the old ideas with a new skill I might be able to come up with something pleasing? It is worth a try. One of my major goals is to do some surreal/abstract work. I have never just let myself cut loose and just make a playground of strangeness. I always envisioned my progress to lead to more surreal art with a classical flair. I think I have been "waiting" for the precise time. Quite honestly, I am not sure what the hidden rules are to get started. I will have to think about that and get back to you.

0 Comments