Found

Found

16x20 Oil on Canvas

This is my first painting after years of pause.  There is a little bit of a story behind this one if you are interested.

The Story

I recently found my biological family using DNA and a popular genealogy website.  At Christmas I received the most beautiful flower arrangement I have ever seen. It was full of evergreen branches and red roses. I saved two of them and let them dry. I have been keeping them on the window sill to remind me how awesome it was. 

This painting has a lot of personal symbolism in it. The spools of thread double as both the way our DNA wraps around and it represents the seamstress gene I got from my paternal Grandmother. The roses are two of a kind, from the same bush, but living on different levels of existence. The spool without a rose is just getting started, much like our relationship. The white chord is the instinctual pull my father and I had to find each other

This painting is going to be a favorite of mine for a while. It has emotional value. Not only did I find a family that is better than I could hope for, I found myself, my bush, my thread, my art.   

The future is hopeful and full of excitement. This is what every adoptee hopes to find when they search out their roots. 


0 Comments