Abstract progress

Here is some progress I have made on those Abstract Starts that I made.  
Before

After
I grabbed the first yellow in my bucket, which was Winsor and Newton Chrome Yellow Hue.  It makes an interesting green with the Ivory black.  It is a subtle grayish green that I think will be a nice tone to use further in this painting.  It is very warm and my first inclination is to make the face colors a cool.  I am going to let this dry and try out some glazes.  

Structure wise, I picked up an app called Handy that is a mobile art tool for artsts.  I played with the angle and lighting scheme that closely related to what I was seeing in this and used it to refine my shadows.  She is taking a more mature look and I think that has a lot to do with all my inner thoughts about motherhood. 

It is almost like she is growing up on my canvas.  She is getting wiser and she has a more mature look on the world.  I am not sure what she is telling me, but the more I work on her, the more I am making decisions about who she is and who I am, as I discover things about her.  After all, no matter what your references are, you are painting a piece of yourself in every painting. 


Before
After
I had some left over paint and I smeared it on these canvases.  My paint was truly at the point that it was use it or let it dry out.  So I grabbed some Winsor and Newton Terra Rosa and mixed it in with the Ivory Black and Titanium White and used a couple palette knives to smear more shapes around.

I really like the warmth of these colors against the cool of the Titanium White and Ivory black.  There is a story happening in this one.  I am not sure what it is, but it is, but it is there, making me think.

  
Before

After

This one is still a little violent and chaotic for me.  I don't really have any true ideas what is happening here.  Again, the Ivory black and Terra Rosa.

Before

After

There is an atmosphere happening here.  It is a dark landscape of sorts and I felt the need to leave the center of this one in lighter values.  I think some of my looking at mat painters and fantasy landscapes is proving influential.

Before


After
I simply deepened the darkest areas with this.  I like the separation of light, middle and dark values that this provides.  I didn't want to ruin that.

Before


After
This is upside down compared to the beginning.  I don't know why, but it seemed to want to be this direction.  One advantage to painting over old paintings is that some of the original paint is showing through and I am going to allow that to stay for now.  This was only a partially painted piece and it was a very simple block in.  That allows some interesting shapes.

Because so many of the others do not have much in sharp lines and sharp contrasts, I tried to punch the edges a little more with this and not blend it in.

In closing, I don't know what I am doing.  There is no plan.  For this series, I like that aspect of it.  I like that it is a playground and fun.  I don't even care if they turn out any good.  I do know that I will probably not buy anymore square canvases because it lends to too many centered compositions.

0 Comments