Self Portrait #4 and #5



I tried a double mirror pose so that I would be facing the right direction in my self portrait.  The disadvantage to that is that it is very hard to measure.  I tried first with the conte crayon, but between fighting the crayon and getting disoriented in the double mirrors, it was just too frustrating.  I pulled the page out of my book and then picked up my handy dandy mechanical and went to work getting it figured out. I was much happier with the results.  I have places on my paper that is just not accepting graphite.  I am not sure if it is my lead or the paper.

1 Comments

Unknown said…
I was studying these self portraits last night - they are both beautiful but I'm really drawn to the first one. The way that you've blocked out large areas of shadow and light and the evidence of working/reworking. I love a finely made representational sketch, but there's something about a piece that shows the hand and effort (and sometimes struggle) of the artist. I haven't attempted a self portrait in YEARS!! Perhaps your post is a challenge that I should take on to dust off my classic art skills... I'm sure I'm pretty rusty in that department and could use the exercise.