Her Shoes



Something kinda quick to get my quota in for the day. Still working on my sense of perspective. Foreshortening is still weak, but coming a little better than before. I did some very boring sketches this morning that I won't bother to scan. A little at a time, my sense of angles and distances are improving. It is completely frustrating to me that I have not mastered this yet. That is a good thing. This particular kind of frustration is motivating and helpful. It gives energy to my goals.

I discovered an article on SuccessConsciousness.com called Will Power and Self Discipline. I like the exercises they suggest. These are not big bold changes. They are small meaningful steps in the direction of building self discipline. In fact, they are almost too easy. How can something this simple be so effective? Repetition and changing things to keep yourself engaged.

I find that I do a pretty good job of painting every day for a while. One day I will give myself permission to slack. Something will happen and I will be convinced that I don't have time to paint. Then eventually, I find that I am only painting once a week, month and then my painting supplies begin gathering dust. It is easy to find reasons I cannot do this art thing. I have tons of distractions and lots of things I could be doing that seem more urgent. It really boils down to discipline and will power. When I let go of my self discipline, I lose will power.

I am starting to pay attention to my attitudes in regards to self discipline in my daily life. It is a strange activity to watch yourself think.

0 Comments